Home » Gilgit Baltistan » Trophy hunting in Gilgit: Foreigners hunts markhors in Jutial Nullah
markhor
File Photo of Markhor

Trophy hunting in Gilgit: Foreigners hunts markhors in Jutial Nullah

News Desk

markhor

File Photo of Markhor

A hunter from Denmark hunted down a markhor, having 44-inch long horn, in Jutial Nullal, Gilgit, on Monday, which was followed by another hunt by a Mexican hunter on Tuesday, as part of trophy hunting program that was initiated in 1992. The hunters paid $55,000 each for the hunt. The wildlife division of Gilgit revealed the news to reporters.

It is pertinent to mention here that trophy hunting is going very successful in Gilgit, with hundreds of thousands of dollars on average income being generated from the program each year. Markhors having more than 40-inch horns falls under the category reserved for the trophy hunting.

The trophy hunting program is being carried out in the region in collaboration with the local communities.

According to sources, almost 80 percent income generated from trophy hunting goes to the local communities who take part in the program, whereas the remaining 20 percent goes to the government exchequer.

Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*